Peloponnese.eu

Mystras

The byzantine fortified town of Mystras reflects the 14th and 15th century Byzantium. The mysterious and majestic Peloponnesian landscape with its wonderfully decorated churches still has the power to inspire awe to visitors after all these centuries. The Frankish castle dated to 1249 has been restored from time to time by the despots of Mystras and Turks. Next to Mystras, Neos Mystras has been established, a modern community consisting of four settlements: Skalviki, Pikouliana, Taygeti, and Vlachochori. It was established next to the Byzantine fortified town thanks to the large number of tourists. It is only 5km from Sparta.

Monastery of Mega Spileo

According to a lot of people, it is the oldest Monastery of Greece and one of the most impressive Christian Orthodox pilgrimages. It is 10kms out of the town of Kalavrita. It took its name (Spileo = cave) from the cave where the icon of Virgin Mary was found.

Church of Elkomenos Christos

Basilica with a cupola, three semi-circular arches to the east and a domed narthex to the west.

The current architectural form is the result of alterations at various times, but the original structure probably dates from the Early Christian period (6th-7th centuries).

Panagia Trypiti

Panagia Tripiti (Greek: Παναγία Τρυπητή) is an historical sacred shrine of Theotokos in the town of Aigio, Greece.It is one of the most important orthodox shrines of pilgrimage in Greece. The shrine is dedicated to the Mother of God of the Life Giving Spring. It is built on a steep cliff almost 30 meters high, near to sea .The many and impressive miracles which occur through the intercessions of the Virgin Mother have cansecrated the church in the conscience of the faithful as a national shrine. Thousand of believers, from all over Greece, arrive at Aigio on bright Friday every year, to get Panagia's grace and to get Her blessing. This day every year there is a procession of the Holy Icon through the streets of Aigio and it is an official religious holiday. The name Tripiti comes from the Greek word tripa (Greek: Τρύπα) meaning hole,cave, because the miraculous icon of Panagia was found in a hole in the rock. In the narthex of the church (which is on the ground floor) there is a spring of water (Greek: Αγίασμα).The faithful drink this water as a blessing since it is believed that it works miraculous cures.

Saint Andrew of Patras

Saint Andrew (Agios Andreas, Άγιος Ανδρέας in Greek) is a Greek Orthodox basilica in the east side of the city of Patras in Greece. Along with the old church of St. Andrew (which lies in a close distance) it constitutes a place of pilgrimage for Christians from all over the world.It is dedicated to the First-called Apostle of Christ, Saint Andrew. Construction of the church, of Greek Byzantine style, began in 1908 under the supervision of the architect Anastasios Metaxas, followed by Georgios Nomikos. It was inaugurated 64 years later, in 1974. It covers approximately 1,800 square meters[1] (some other sources say 2,000).[2][3] It is the largest church in Greece and the third largest Byzantine-style church in the Balkans, after the Cathedral of Saint Sava in Belgrade and Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia. Over the central dome there is a 5 meter long gold plated cross and over the other domes there are 12 smaller crosses. These crosses symbolise Jesus and His apostles. The interior of the church is decorated with marvelous Byzantine style wall paintings and mosaics.

Aghia Sofia

A church with an octagonal dome, built in the 12th century (1149-1150). Carvings date from the 12th century and frescoes from the end of the 12th and the early 13th centuries.

Monastery of Agia Lavra

It is the well-known historic Monastery that is situated near Kalavrita of Peloponnese. There, on 18th March 1821, Bishop Paleon Patron Germanos Kotzas raised the flag of the Greek Revolution accompanied with rebels from Kalavrita.