Peloponnese.eu

Ancient Messini

Ancient Messini (Mavromati) is 30km to the north of Kalamata on the site where the fortified ancient Messini was found. It is amphitheatrically built on the foothills of mount Ithomi. The vegetation one comes across includes olive trees, vines, gardens, orchards, figs, bushes, and prickly pears. A path from Mavrommati will lead you to the top of mount Ithomi.

Palace of Nestor

The so-called Palace of Nestor (Greek: Ἀνάκτορον τοῦ Νέστορος) is the primary structure within a larger Late Helladic era settlement, likely once surrounded by a fortified wall. The palace, widely identified with that of Mycenaean-era Pylos, was a two-storey building with store rooms, workshops, baths, light wells, reception rooms and a sewage system. The site is the best preserved Mycenaean Greek palace discovered.
During excavation in 1939 around 1,000 Linear B tablets were identified.
The settlement had been long occupied with most artefacts discovered dating from 1300 BCE. The palace complex was destroyed by fire around 1200 BCE.
Closed for Renovation. As at May 2013 the site was closed for renovation. The 1960s roof over the site is being replaced by a modern structure. It may re-open at the end of 2014.

Old Pylos Castle

Old Pylos castle is a 13th-century fortress near Pylos, Greece. It is one of two castles guarding the strategic bay on which it sits; the other is New Pylos castle. It is also known by its historical Italian and Turkish names, respectively Old Navarino and Anavarin-i atik. Locally, it is simply Palaiokastro (Greek: Παλαιόκαστρο, "old castle"). The castle sits atop an imposing 200-m rock formation on the northern edge of the bay, flanked by sheer cliffs; the naturally defensible site has probably been occupied since classical times.[1] Although there are no physical barriers to access, the castle ruins have been declared "closed" because the structure is considered dangerous.

Neokastro Pylos Castle

One of the best preserved castles of Greece is that of the New Navarino or Niokastro built during the Turkish occupation in 1573, to control the western coast of the Peloponnese.The name of the bay Navarino probably comes from the Avars who settled the region in 585-587 during the reign of Emperor Maurikius.In 1573 after the Naval Battle of Lepanto (1571) to secure more the natural port of pylos the Turks built a castle in the south entrance of the bay and through rocks and boulders the north entry (passage of the Fig) to make its water shallow. The new castle was named Niokastro opposed to older (Paliokastro) that rises to the north entrance of the bay.The Turks also built a stone aqueduct for the castle, length of about 1km originating from the source of Koumpe at Handrinos Village.

Nestor's Cave

On the rock where Paliokastro was built, at the southwest end of Voidokilia Bay, one can clearly see a cave. It is the mythical cave of Nestor, son of Neleus. This is where the royal cattle were kept. According to myth, Hermes hid the 50 cattle stolen from Apollo in this very cave. There, Heinrich Schliemann located finds which dated back to Nestor’s times, proving the early existence of life in the area. The cave is full of stalactites.

In any case, it is worth one's while! Especially selective sightseers will enjoy this visit. Access to the cave is relatively easy, as the cave is located just at the foot of the castle's walls. You may climb up the sand-dune in the end of Voidokilia Beach and follow the ascending path. Up there, you will find Nestor’s cave. The view is extraordinary!

Methoni Castle

It was one of the most important buildings in the Greek area during the Middle Ages. The castle is situated on the peninsula of Agios Nikolaos, has an ellipsoidal shape, with a length of 700 meters. Surrounded on three sides by sea, there is a small fort, Broutzi, connected to the main castle with an artificial stone bridge.