Peloponnese.eu

Mycenae

A modern village of the prefecture of Argolida right next to the location of the ancient town where the most glorious page of Greek Civilisation was written.
It is here where in the late third millenium and during the second, the highest, longest-lived, and most powerful civilisation of the Eastern Mediterranean and the entire world of the time, was established.

Palamidi fortress

Palamidi is a fortress in Nafplion, constructed in 1687 by the Venetians on a hill captured by them, after a fierce battle with the Ottomans during the Venetian-Turkish War. This hill has an altitude of 216 meters, you can go to the castle by foot via a staircase with 999 steps or by car throught the road. In 1715, during the last Venetian-Turkish War the Ottomans conquered it and blew up a part of it.

Castle Larissa, Argos

The castle lies on the prominent hill called "Larissa", overlooking the town of Argos. It was founded in the 6th century B.C. During the Byzantine period the fortress was of essential strategic importance and in 1203 came under the control of the archon of Nauplion, Leon Sgouros. In 1212 it was captured by Othon de la Roche and was controlled by the Greeks until 1388. Between 1394 and 1463 it was occupied by the Venetians. In 1463 it was captured by the Turks and remained under their control until 1822, interrupted during 1686-1715, when Larissa came under the control of the Venetian admiral Morozini. The site was liberated by the Greeks in 1822.

Epidaurus

The ancient town, the sanctuary of Asklepios, the famous theatre of Polykleitos, and the small theatre are the jewels of the Epidaurus area, which is a verdant, fertile, and sacred valley full of legends and history. Epidaurus is well-known worldwide, mostly due to the theatre of Ancient Epidaurus, and it combines significant cultural events every summer with pleasant stay and holidays. The seaside settlement of Ancient Epidaurus lies 39km from Nafplio and is a Municipality. The Theatre and the archaeological site are found in a woody area 29km from Nafplio.

Tiryns

In the middle of the fertible and verdant valley of northern Nafplio lies the archaeological site of Tiryns, as well as Nea Tiryns with a population of approximately 2,500.

Bourtzi

The castle of Bourtzi (Greek: Μπούρτζι, from Ottoman Turkish برج - burc meaning "tower"; formerly Καστέλι, Kasteli) is located in the middle of the harbour of Nafplio. The Venetians completed its fortification in 1473 to protect the city from pirates and invaders from the sea. The Greeks regained it from the Turks on June 18, 1822, from where they assisted in the siege of Nafplio. Until 1865 it served as a fortress. It was then transformed into residence of the executioners of convicts from the castle of Palamidi. From 1930 to 1970, it served as a hotel. Since then, it is mainly a tourist attraction hosting occasionally parts of the Summer Music Festival.