The castle lies on the prominent hill called "Larissa", overlooking the town of Argos. It was founded in the 6th century B.C. During the Byzantine period the fortress was of essential strategic importance and in 1203 came under the control of the archon of Nauplion, Leon Sgouros. In 1212 it was captured by Othon de la Roche and was controlled by the Greeks until 1388. Between 1394 and 1463 it was occupied by the Venetians. In 1463 it was captured by the Turks and remained under their control until 1822, interrupted during 1686-1715, when Larissa came under the control of the Venetian admiral Morozini. The site was liberated by the Greeks in 1822.